It is a common assumption among the public that celebrities are born with a silver spoon, and they have lavish lifestyles, popularity, love, peace, joy, fun, riches, and high celebrity net worth. For ordinary people, the grass is always greener on the other side, but the truth is, however, completely opposite of what a common person sees. There are both advantages and disadvantages of being a celebrity and people are only able to see one side of a coin. The other side is full of thorns, and it is a fact.
- The freedoms of celebrities are restricted. Imagine Beyonce, Justine Beiber or Robert Pattison going out for a stroll, supermarket or a park. What will happen? They never know in which corner their anxious, eager admirers, followers, and photographers are waiting to rush and swamp them. They can also be literally ambushed by their fans if they step out of their home or hotel without sufficient security. In order to avoid such scenarios, they will have to confine themselves inside their home or hotel, and live on their own. They cannot hope to lead a normal life as a common man and enjoy the pleasure of visiting a park, mall or super market, taking a walk, visiting neighbors, lying down on a beach, going out to a theater, neighborhood restaurant or a night club. They confine themselves in their own secluded world, amidst the closest ones.
- The celebrities always face the risk of molestation, stalking, groping, deceit, and harassment in their everyday life, because it is a matter of time when the fans may overstep the thin line, and commit these nuisances. The heightened passions among the admirers may even lead to dire consequences and physical harms. They also have to be on-guard every minute of the day from being duped by the unscrupulous people, agents, producers, and friends.
- Staying aloof in own secluded world leads to loneliness and emptiness. Celebrities feel hurt and depressed, and frequent feelings of nothingness. They describe their life as a void and abyss, without any charm or pleasure. Their emptiness is hunger for neighbors, genuine friends, natural living, and life as a common man where they can laugh, play, and enjoy like others. On occasions, the loneliness is so overwhelming they feel there is something missing in their life. The loneliness can also lead to craving for drugs, boozes, and other depressants that can be hazardous to their health, and overdose can even kill them.
- Celebrities are always under the scanner of their fans, magazines, newspapers, tabloids, blogs and electronic media. The false scandalous news, lies, defamation and slanders are common in the life of a celebrity. Such false propaganda can bring down their popularity among their fans and producers, and damage their reputation and profession.
- Celebrities lack privacy. Internet and tabloids are full of videos and photos displaying private and outdoor life of the celebrities. Their everyday life is always under the scanner of ‘celebrity’ or ‘people’ journalism, and their every action or activity is splashed over the tabloid pages. People also crave for news on the personal life of celebrities, and to satisfy the needs of the people and fans, many national tabloid newspaper, gossip magazines, and gossip columnists have sprung up for publishing hot news. These tabloids are always on a look out for the scandals and private lives of celebrities. The advent of cell phones with cameras, hidden cameras, and voice recorders have further jeopardized the privacy of the celebrities because the tabloid reporters use these electronic devices to prying into the personal and private life of famous people.
However, becoming a celebrity is always a dream for many, irrespective of minus points. The success of a celebrity and their celebrity status can truly be compared with the Rose bush because the rose bushes also have thorns, and a simple rose grows among thorns. In the same way,few shortcomings can not deter people from wishing to be a celebrity, and enjoying fan following, fame and fortune, lavish lifestyle and affluence.