Would you like to build your own online community on the web? If your answer is yes, then building a forum website can help you do just that. A forum is a great way to meet new people, discuss topics of interest and expand your social network. Forums have spread all over the internet for people to find a safe haven to discuss their favorite celebrities, video games, business opportunities and careers. It is also a great way to meet new friends from all over the world and to gain potential clients for your business.
If you want to start your very own forum, then you have to know what it takes in building a forum website. Here are some how-to tips for you who are interested in putting up your very own online community:
- You can purchase your own domain name if you still don't have one yet. If you do, then you can use your current web host to serve your forum site. If you are starting from scratch and you don't have a domain name yet, think of a name that will be included in your website address that will give a brief insight to what your forum is all about. Also, make sure that the hosting plan that you avail of will supply you with at least one MySQL database.
- Select a forum software for your site. Think of what features you would need for your website to help guide you in your selection process. There are those that offer customer support, interactive features and there are free software you can avail of online.
- After selecting the software you are going to use, download this on your computer and then upload this to your website. Save it to your desired directory. Create a new folder where you can save all of your files.
- Go to your website and log in. Go to your control panel which is provided by the web host and open the MySQL option. MySQL is your database section. Select “create new database” to make a new batch and indicate your username and password. Keep this information in mind for future use.
- After this, just follow prompts and software instructions to complete the installation process. Just insert the information that is on your database if prompted from you.
Bear in mind that the technical aspect is not the only thing to consider when creating your own online community. It is also important that you contemplate on design elements, your target members and your topics for discussion. You must also prepare a set of guidelines that the forum members are expected to follow to maintain peace and order among the members. Privacy issues are also some of the factors to be considered when creating a forum website.
With all of these in mind, building a forum website should now be a piece of cake for you. So try to create your very own internet group and start getting members and expanding your affiliation even further.