What does the United States, stand for, and represent, unless all the protections and freedoms, granted via the Constitution, are prioritized, and guaranteed? I often feel, if our Founding Fathers, were able to witness, what’s going on, today, it would bring tears, to their eyes, because, what they spent their blood, sweat, and tears, fighting for, seems to be, at – risk, of being lost, perhaps, forever! Whether one supports, the present occupant of the White House, or not, we should recognize, and realize, at least, five of our Constitutional guarantees, are, to say, the least, under – siege! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, what this means and represents, and why, it’s an essential consideration, for the future sustainability, of our democracy.
1. Separation of Church and State: Our Founding Fathers, felt, strongly, that it was essential, for there to be separation of church, and state, in our nation. In fact, few people realize, our Pledge of Allegiance, did not include, the phrase, under God, after, on nation, until the 1950’s (in response to the McCarthy hearings, and witch – hunt). There shouldn’t even be, a legislative consideration, of things, such as, school prayer, removing restrictions of clergy to preach about politics (or get involved in fund – raising), or any potentially, religious issues, such as a Women’s Right to Choose, Court Judges and Justices’ religious beliefs, etc.
2. Balance of Powers: Our Constitution calls for, a balance of powers, between our three branches of government, Executive, Legislative, and Judicial. This tri – partate approach, was created, to ensure, no one component might assume too much power, and/ or, control! When President Trump, seems to ignore these limits/ limitations, it ignores the important concept, of no one individual, being, above the law!
3. Freedom, liberty, and justice, for all: Whether one likes a specific ethnic or political group/ component, or not, it is essential, to demand, our basic Constitutional requirements, for freedom, liberty, and justice, for all, must be protected! When this President, appears to use a rhetorical message, emphasizing vitriol, and prioritizing appealing to his core supporters, instead of trying to serve the common good (including those who won’t vote for him), it creates a precedent, which threatens our way, of life. We must demand, protection of all of these, and, especially, the Freedom of the Press, Free Speech, Women’s Rights, Civil Rights, and human rights!
4. Civil Rights: When our nation was founded, neither women, nor African – Americans, were granted, equal rights, and protections. It took, until, the Civil War, in the 1860’s, and the Women’s movement, in the early 1900’s, to amend these injustices! When Trump says, Make America Great Again, is it focused on the common good, or a backward, prejudiced look, at returning to days, of less than equal justice, etc?
5. Women’s Rights: Since women represent more than half the population, why do they still receive, less pay for the same work! Why are men permitted to legislate, about the female body? Why do women represent, such a small percentage of our representatives, and upper – level, business leaders?
Wake up, America, or, soon, you will no longer, be able to recognize this nation, nor will you have anything, to make you proud, to be an American! Oppose and speak against someone elses’ politics, and opinions, if you disagree, but protect their rights, to participate, and articulate them!